Skip to main content

Developing acrylic transfers

Since doing the acrylic transfer workshop, I decided I wanted to go back in after I've done some artist research and look into adding more colours into my work, but keeping it to a limited colour palette as inspired by Ed Moses.


Moving on from the last set of experiments, I wanted to focus on using the primary colours/ a simple colour palette to create prints. I decided to use the continuous line drawing of my car I drew. I chose this as I felt its personal to me, and I want to work more onto metal and more obscure surfaces, so by printing a car, its liking the subject into the background, as cars are commonly made of metal.
To create the above piece, I found a strip of metal, in which I cleaned, and the prepped. I took 4 photocopied of my drawing and selected the colours I wanted to print with. I chose the primary colours to keep it simple. The key to being able to print in colour and having sections transparent is by using clear gloss acrylic on the areas you want to stay transparent. I then took the image I wanted and painted on the acrylic in the areas I wanted to have colour, so most the car body, in this case, I kept the headlights, wheels, windshield and numberplate clear. I then painted the clear gloss acrylic directly onto the metal covering all areas where the image will go. I then placed it onto the metal and let it dry for 2 days.

Once it was dried, I used the same technique I used previously and used water and my finger to remove the paper and to just leave the acrylic and the image on the surface. I found this technique worked very well on metal, and I used just the clear acrylic gloss on the print on the right, just to see how the lines would look on the metal.

I then did 2 prints onto fabric, I chose to do one in red and one in yellow, linking back to Moses work. I wanted to see how using the clear acrylic gloss would work on fabric also. To my surprise, it worked extremely well. I didn't have anything peeling up and the acrylic didn't bleed into where I'd left clear. I did mess up, however, as I only left out the windshield, wheels and number plate on the yellow print, but I only left out the windshield and lights on the red. This has caused some inconsistencies, which make the prints go together less, and look like less of a series. This is more noticable when comparing to the previosu piece I did on the metal sheet, as I ensred the colour placement was conststant throughou the experiments.


Next, I wanted to try again with printing on metal, to draw inspiration from car bodies. The only surface I found which I thought I could work on was some old metal gauze from the chemistry lab. However, due to the texture, I found it easy to pull up the image whilst rubbing the paper. Also, it was difficult to get an even layer of acrylic down as the gauze wasn't completely flat. It had been warped from being used and the temperature changed it would have gone through. I like the idea of this, but I found it very difficult to execute well.

Finally, going along the chemistry route, I tried to print onto a petri dish. This piece came out okay, but due to paper fibres, the piece wasn't
as transparent as I would have liked. I put PVA glue on top to try and tackle this, but once dried, the whole piece had a cloudy feel to it. However, I feel this could be improved with practising the technique more, and being more delicate when removing the paper in order to get as much off as I can. I feel this could be developed into projections and could be coloured in the future too.








Comments