Skip to main content

Large Scale Contour Workshop

As part of a workshop, I took a drawing which I had done, which I felt would look good on a large scale, and began by making a sellotape transfer. The drawing I used was a fineliner sketch in which was one of my drawings for inktober. I used this one as the skull had simple contours, which I felt would translate well onto a larger scale. I felt this as it was in black and white, had no shading and a variety of dark and light areas. I also felt that the cross hatching I did instead of shading would translate well on any scale. To make a sellotape transfer, I had to photocopy the image I wanted, and then place sellotape over the top, ensuring it overlaps.

Once I had done this, I took some water, and wet the paper side and rubbed the paper off. It somes off and leaves the ink from the photocopier on the sellotape, creating a transparent copy of the image. I used the projector to project my drawing onto the wall, where I'd stuck up a sheet of large paper. I then decided to use a blue sharpie to outline the main contours of the piece. When drawing the main contours, I added a small amount of shading, and cross hatching to add some depth to the piece.

Once I had done this, I then layered up some tissue paper, I used red and blue to give the feel of classic 3D glasses. I then added a layer of acetate on top of the drawing and the tissue paper. Then using a black sharpie, I outlined the whole piece again to add another layer ontop. These 3 layers add a lot of depth and demention to the piece. The texture of the tissue paper gives more shadows, and when the light hits the ink, it casts a shadow back onto the paper, giving several outlines on the skull.




Comments