Skip to main content

Photo montage Self Portrait Task



As a responce to David Hockneys work, and the experiments I'd done previously with the skeleton from the still life, we were set the task of creating a self potrait inspired by his work. I created 3 pieces in total, all progressions as I got used to this style. All the pieces I did I did digitally as I found it easier and quicker to resize photos and not have to print them out every time.
For the first piece, which is right, I used photos taken of myself and layered them together onto word, as I found it easiest to crop and resize photos on that. I used square and rectangle photos for this piece, which is similar to the shape of the photos used in Hockneys work. For this one, when the photos were took, I was talking, laughing, smiling, moving and rolling my eyes. I did this to add the idea of time and movement to my piece, as each section of myself would be doing something different. By taking them from different angles, the light hits my face different, creating contrasts in tone across my face. The fact I'm also standing against a white background makes the outlines of myself stand out more, as the backgrounds of all the different photos blend in together.

For the next piece I wanted to take the photos myself, and be in a more casual setting. For this piece I was influenced by Gino Severini's self portrait, which is in a cubism style. I wanted to incoporate more angles into these photo montages and I used triangular shapes instead of square ones to achieve this. I didn't want a simple square format and background, so by using triangles it removed that, and gives the photomontage more movement and energy. I took these photos on my macbook, using photobooth, it looks more casual as theres things in the background, and due to the lamp on my desk, the left side of my face it lit up more, which creates contrasts in tones, and creates more shadows on the right side of my face. Overall the best features of this piece, I find, are the triangular shapes which the images were cropped, as it adds move movement and energy, especially when comparing it the the first piece I did.
For the last one, I wanted to show a personal journey of myself, and the best was I though of doing this was stitching together lots of photos of myself from the past few years. One thing I used to change alot was my hair, and I can remember how old I was depending on the colour of hair I had at the time. So for me, the changes in my hair over the past 5 years show this well. Starting from the left of the piece, I was 15, and progressing to the right, where I am now, 19, shows the progression I've been through. I stopped dying my hair mostly when I was around 16, as the bright orange on the right from when I was 16. Since then I havent really dyed my hair any bright colours, so the final photo, you can see a hint of the grey hair which is what I tend to wear now. It shows progression in age and maturity, as now I'm older, having bright green or blue hair doesnt appeal to me much anymore. Looking at my face and my makeup, there is an improvement as time progresses, also the quality of the photos increases as time moves forward, which shows not only a journey for myself, but a journey of technology. I really find this composition of photos of myself interesting as it can be a really effective way to show a journey.

Moving forward from this, I printed off the photos and backed them onto black paper. I also printed out the same photos in black and white, and used gouache to add the colour to the hair in after.









Comments