Skip to main content

Refining Colour Experiments

When looking back at the experiments I did influenced by Ed Moses, I wanted to refine these as I felt they could have been done in a better way. Some of the pieces I did look rather forced and I wanted to re-visit them. I began by evaluating the types of paint I used for certain pieces. For the strongest pieces, I used a cheaper acrylic, which dried matt and was less pigmented, and for the other ones, I used a glossier acrylic with more pigment. This meant it was harder for the brush strokes to be seen against the black background and the vibrancy of the colours was too high.
I decided to use the acrylic which was weaker in pigment in order to get more transparency between the colours and the black background.
I used a wider brush too, which gave me more texture in the marks created by the acrylic. I used marks with more movement than before, as the fluidity of the marks mixed with the texture of the brush strokes added a lot more energy to the piece.

I then did another piece using fewer marks, giving more black space separating the colour. I found this one to be more effective, and the layers of red and yellow add more depth to the piece. Also as the paints dry matt, there are fewer reflections of light.

Following on from this I did some more experiments but on a white background to see how much the background colour effects the final piece.




I found these pieces didn't have the same effect on black, as the white background doesn't show the transparency of the paint in the same way. The marks left by the brushes aren't as obvious and due to this, there is less movement and energy in these pieces, compared the the pieces above on a black background. Where the red overlaps the yellow, you can see the texture of the brush marks better, compared to the brush strokes over the plain white background.

I then did another piece which I added blue acrylic too, I thought by using the primary colours they would complement each other better, but due to the white background, again the motion of the paint is lost.

I defiantly prefer these pieces on a black background, it also adds more texture and I feel the marks flow together better.


Comments